Sunday, August 1, 2010

Vernon and Iva Walker Reunion

We attended the Walker family reunion in Lyman during the 24th weekend/celebrations. It was wonderful. Gil Walker (Grandma's brother) wrote Grandma Walker's history and it has had a profound effect on me and the way I view the little mundane things I do everyday. Grandma bought a copy for all of her grandkids' families and I hope that everyone reads it. Amazing. There were copies of some of Grandma Walker's cake recipes and samples to eat. Really good.
Honey Cake
3/4 C sugar 2 C flour
1/2 C oil 2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 honey 1/2 t salt
2 eggs 1 C milk
1/2 t vanilla
Combine sugar, oil, honey, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well. Add combined dry ingredients to oil mixture alternately with milk, mixing well after each addition. Pour batter into greased and floured 9" square pan. Bake @ 350 degrees 40 -45 or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Cool.
Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
2 T butter
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 C powdered sugar
2 T honey
pinch of salt
In small bowl with electric mixer at medium speed smoothly blend all ingredients and spread on cooled cake.

I have quite a few others- if you want them let me know and I can make some copies.
Jana

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting those recipes. I loved the history and didn't know that there were recipes to go along with it. Please post. Thanks, Julie

    ReplyDelete