Saturday, July 17, 2010

Beets!

I don't really have a recipe to post but thought that this would be the appropriate place to discuss the joys of beets. I just picked my first beets today and prepared them to go into the freezer, first popping a few into my mouth. Delightful! I am truly sorry that I ever weeded the beets out of my rows in my youth. Not only do I enjoy beets, but beet greens, which I also blanched, cooled and packaged to reside in the freezer until we need them. Mom and Dad thank-you for making us wash all of that swiss chard, and lettuce. We will be eating spinach, swiss chard and beet greens all winter long. I am off to plant my fall crop of. . . beets.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! Beets taste like what I imagine the best of dirt tastes like. I know that doesn't sound good but to me they have this earthy, delicious flavor that I love. I put some beet greens in a salad that I picked this last week and it was so good. I had never eaten them before.
    Jana

    ReplyDelete